NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed. You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school, and when they’re getting medical care. The course also provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What the course provides:
- An overview of the major mental health conditions including anxiety disorders, ADHD, bipolar disorder, CD, depressive disorders disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, OCD, ODD, schizophrenia, and substance use disorders.
- Up-to-date information on treatment options including medications.
- Guidance on how to navigate the school, mental health, and juvenile justice systems.
- A sense of community and hope to aid in the journey toward recovery.
- See the 6-week course curriculum
- A research study has shown that NAMI Basics improves family communication and coping skills… Read press release
- Find a course near you